Saturday, August 16, 2008

Welcome to my new home state

Georgia is getting some national press this week for 2 notable stories:

The first is pretty disgusting actually. A man was found to have kept his wife and 4 kids in a trailer of squalor for 3 years. None of the kids have been to school although they're between the ages of 9 and 14. This is about 90 miles from Atlanta but it sort of proves something I've been told repeatedly that you don't have to go far out to realize Atlanta is a pocket of cosmopolitan communities in a state that can be very... traditional (I really wanted to say backwards) in its way of thinking.

The other is a little sillier. Apparently some dudes camping in northern Georgia found bigfoot. I don't know a ton about this story but it's kind of funny. I love this stuff. Every time someone sees Nessy or Bigfoot it reminds me of the little bit of everyone that wants to believe that there are things primal, large and mysterious that we haven't ruled out as impossible.

Please come visit... I promise not to lock you in a trailer or exhume 7 foot tall hairy bipeds if you do.

No comments: